This was my 40th birthday present and I decided to wait until April to do it so that the weather was good. I missed doing it before winter due to the booking times.
Well this was really fun, the cars are great and the people and whole experience really enjoyable. Got the cars up to about 120mph but it’s all over too fast, just when you are getting used to the car and track. Som got driven round the track too and came back with a very big smile – maybe it will have to be track days in the kit car next.
What a big surprise! On the way home we dropped into Witley Court. I had heard about the fountain but the English Heritage handbook said it stops working for the winter at the start of October so we had missed it. However when we got there they said it was a misprint and it was working every hour for about 20 minutes. The house is very impressive, even though it is just a shell, but the fountain was spectacular, especially in the bright sunlight. Definitely worth a visit.
3 weeks in Thailand. Visited lots of places. Buriram was particularly interesting as we saw the old religious sanctuaries around Phimai. Very interesting and great for photos. Apart from travelling about the Bangkok area, Hua Hin, etc we traveled off to Kanchanaburi. This area was quite a surprise as it has a lot to offer for places to visit and things to see. We both had a very relaxing time here, definitely worth a re-visit. Hellfire pass is a very moving experience too.
The car, once stripped down to shell was placed on a “roasting spit” style jig so that it could be turned over to make repair easier in a single garage. It worked well.
Standard area for rust. It had been patched a few times already so this time it was a bigger repair panel.
It used to be an invalid carriage, converted in 1976 by Reselco Invalid Carriages Ltd, when it was 6 years old.
It had a hand operated brake that joined the brake pedal on an extended bit that came through the chassis leg. Unfortunately the neat (!) hole made for the hand operated brake had weakened the chassis and caused cracks from each of the 4 corners to the chassis rail edge – I’ve now welded up the cracks and placed a patch over the hole – obviously cutting off the brake peddle extension too!
I think it also had a hand operated throttle. The actual conversion bits were removed before I got it.
Homemade inner wing section and bought “A” post. You can also see some repairs to the chassis legs where it had fractured and also been hacked to provide invalid controls.