Great progress in Taekwondo

Eric recently got 1st place in his red belt pattern at the Welsh TAGB Championship, plus medals for team patterns and team sparring.

During black stripe grading both Eric and Som got A+, only 7 out of 40 got to that level and Eric got the grading award for being best overall. They are now proud owners of black stripe belts.

Their previous local club changed from TAGB to an independent club under ITC. Unfortunately, after a short time it was clear they needed to move club back to TAGB, even though the ITC red belt would not be recognized and they had to retake the grading. Now they are advancing to black belt and doing well it is important their hard work is recognized and the grading process correctly regulated by TAGB to the BTC standard.

It’s unfortunate that we had to go through club politics which has soured what should be a fun and enjoyable sport. However now back on the right track they are both looking forward to attaining a black belt.

Eric and Som trophies from the TAGB British Championships, Coventry, 21-Nov-21
Grading presentation, now a black strip.

Replacing the stairs

The old 60’s stairs had to go. Welcome a new oak staircase with winder at the top. What a pain to fit, should have stuck with a straight staircase!

Old stairs on the way out.
New stairs on the way in.

Finished orangery.

The rest of the floor down and steps from the lounge.

Step corners cut freehand using an angle grinder and the half bull nose edge done using a diamond shaping tool on a variable speed angle grinder.

Woodburner and Hearth

Hearth and step are thermal blocks faced with brick slips. The pointing takes forever and is boring. I used Mapei flexible adhesive, some rapid set but some the slow set that I used for the floor tiles. Slow set gives lots of working time.

The hearth stone was cut and shaped by a local stone works, they didn’t cut the first one in the orientation we specified which meant the pattern didn’t look right so they cut another one but obviously the second pattern wasn’t our first choice so a bit disappointing. Even so it’s a fantastic bit of stone with bits of semi-precious red bits and flecks of gold bits.

I very pleased with my lead work and lead burning, pity its on the roof out of view.

Eric gets stung.

Whilst at school Eric got stung by a bee at lunchtime. The sting was still in his hand when he came back home so mummy carefully extracted it. Luckily all ok.


Photo taken with USB circuit inspection microscope courtesy of Taotek Ltd.

Creating the cloakroom, a start.

After demolishing the larder and cloakroom, it’s time to make a new cloakroom and passageway to the orangery.

Insulation under the floor and new stopcock, pressure reducing valve, anti-knock pipe, provision for water softener and orangery underfloor heating stuff. Next is the cloakroom soil and basin waste pipes now that the radiator is moved and feed pipes for toilet and basin are in and hopefully the right location.

After adding all the underfloor pipes, the joists went in for the new lowered floor area.

Joists for floor.

Floor down, stud work in, pan and cistern plumbed in and working.

Next is the plaster boarding and patch up the wall.